Palais Schulenburg / Palais Radziwill / Palais of the Reich Chancellor / Reich Chancellery / Old Reich Chancellery / The Führers Apartment
State of construction: 1937-1943
Address: Wilhelmstraße 77
Built in 1738/39 by CF Richter, this building was originally constructed as an aristocratic palace. After several changes in ownership it was eventually bought by Otto von Bismarck, in 1869, for the use of the Prussian state government. At the time Bismarck had his residence in the adjacent Ministery of Foreign Affairs. Shortly before, the Palais Voß had been demolished, the property subdivided and a section cleared for the construction of a new road – Voßstraße. Bismarck wanted to prevent the same fate befalling the old Palais, and so the land was acquired for the German Reich in 1875. It was decided that the building would be used as a residence and headquarters for the Reich Chancellor. The Palais was renovated in 1875-1878 by Georg Joachim Wilhelm Neumann. When the renovation was completed, Bismarck used the building as residence and headquarters. Since Bismarck directed the newly established Authority Central Bureau of the Reich Chancellor, he proposed the renaming of the building to “Reich Chancellery” In the same year the building became part of international history when the Berlin Congress met here to regulate the problems in the Balkans. The meeting took place in the reception hall, in the centre of the first floor, with Bismarck as mediator. In 1934-1935, the Palais was renovated once more, when Paul Ludwig Troost refurbished the building to serve as residence and office for Adolf Hitler. In 1937 Albert Speer rebuilt the entrance, and when he was commissioned by Hitler to construct the New Reich Chancellery, he incorporated the baroque Palais into the architectural design of the new structure. From this time the Palais was called the Old Reich Chancellery or the Führers Apartement.
In March 1945, during the repair of bomb damage, the Congress Hall of the Old Reich Chancellery was destroyed by a bomb. The entire building was destroyed between 23. April and 2. May 1945 by the intense artillery fire focused on the Reich Chancellery during the Battle of Berlin.